Sunday, June 17, 2012

Angora/Merino

I somehow managed to acquire around 500g of 50% Angora 50% Merino top in natural white and thought it would be a good idea to try and dye some (around 150g), it was all really exciting as i had no idea how the blended fibre would take the dye or how it would react in general to the whole process.

i was going for dark browns and greys, I'm not sure where i went wrong with the colour (either i didn't get it wet enough, or there wasn't enough acid in the dye mixture) but i do know that it was all that exciting i just couldn't leave it alone (always a bad idea) and the colour just kept washing out so what happens when you agitate warm, wet fibre?? it fulls or worse, felts!

So, there i was, left with a slightly felted braid of fibre that didn't turn out at all how i wanted (this happens sometimes, that's not to say i don't like the colours because i actually did) and i was left thinking to myself "what can i do with this?" i decided to tease it out and spin a little, then a bit more and then i had a bobbin full of thin singles and around 1/3 of the fibre is gone!! this is a W.I.P. so I'll keep you posted on how things go..... See you soon :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I try to respond to comments however many now come up no-reply so please forgive me if I don't get back to you. All comments are appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to read my blog.